Skip to Content
Car Accidents Your Injury, Our Fight

Austin, TX Car Accident Lawyer

Driving in Austin, Texas, can be confusing and stressful. On top of traffic and merging lanes that end too quickly, many of our major roadways have multiple names which can make it difficult to get around effectively. While GPS can be helpful with all of these troubles, that can also get dicey because cell phone use is prohibited behind the wheel in the city of Austin. Your GPS must be hands-free in order to be allowed while driving.

All of these obstacles on top of the regular difficulties of driving can lead to accidents, which could cause you to need the help of our Austin, TX car accident lawyer. When other drivers aren’t fully paying attention to the road, or if drivers aren’t used to the area, they could make mistakes behind the wheel that cause them to collide with you.

When collisions occur, you could suffer from injuries and other damages that affect your life. If the crash wasn’t your fault, you shouldn’t have to worry about the costs you incur. Buckingham & Vega Law Firm will fight to get you full and fair compensation for what you’ve been through.

Contact our team for a free and confidential consultation by calling (505) 388-0066

Have You Been Injured?

We Are Ready to Passionately Advocate For Your Rights
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Our Results Make a Difference

Explore How We Have Helped Our Clients
  • $14 Million Dram Shop Liability

    Our team obtained a $14 million dram shop verdict on behalf of a client who was injured due to negligence.

Texas Fault Laws

One of the first things that your lawyer will look into when you’ve been in a car wreck is who was at fault. In Texas, we follow a modified comparative fault law, which we call proportionate responsibility. This means that if you and the other party share fault in the accident, that your compensation could be modified to the proportion that you were at fault for.

For instance, if you were found to be 10 percent at fault while the other party was 90 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by the 10 percent that you were deemed responsible. Additionally, if you are found to be more than 50 percent at fault for what happened, you won’t be able to recover any compensation at all.

That’s why it’s important to have an attorney on your side—they’ll be able to accurately determine how much you contributed to causing the accident and whether or not you’re eligible for compensation. Once they calculate your amount of fault, if any, they’ll guide you through your case.

Under this fault system, it’s required for all Texas drivers to carry minimum amounts of car insurance for liability. The Texas Department of Insurance outlines the minimum requirements for liability auto insurance in our state, which are:

  • $30,000 per accident for injuries per person
  • $60,000 per accident for total injuries
  • $25,000 per accident for property damage

With this coverage, you can ensure that you’re following the law as well as feel protected in the event of an accident. However, if another person was at fault for your collision, you’ll likely use their insurance to pay for your damages.

You might still have questions about fault. Talking to an Austin, TX car accident attorney from our firm can help answer your biggest questions. We have experience with cases like yours, and will know exactly how to handle your claim.

Common Causes of Auto Wrecks in Austin

One of the main ways to determine who was at fault was to look into the cause of your car accident. Your car accident lawyer will ask you for every detail of your accident but will likely fixate on the cause so that they can work to prove who was responsible for causing it. 

Here are some of the most common causes of car crashes in Austin that could help your attorney figure out who was responsible for the wreck:

Continue Reading Read Less