$73.21 Million Verdict Birth Injury
The Buckingham & Vega legal team secured a $73.21 million verdict on behalf of a baby who was catastrophically injured due to the negligence of their doctor and medical team.
Record-Setting $72 Million Verdict Birth Injury
The Buckingham & Vega team obtained a $72 Million verdict in a birth injury case when an OB/ GYN failed to properly monitor the mom during pregnancy.
$16 Million Truck Accident
Buckingham & Vega obtained a $16 million settlement in a truck accident case. The truck driver was speeding and inattentive (texting) and crashed into the rear of a pickup truck stopped at a stoplight.
$14 Million Dram Shop Liability
Our team obtained a $14 million dram shop verdict on behalf of a client who was injured due to negligence.
13 Million Work Injury
Buckingham & Vega represented an oilfield worker who was killed when their company failed to properly train its employees on how to safely move waste bins. Our client was killed when he became trapped between two bins.
13 Million Truck Accident
Our team secured a 13 million settlement in a truck accident case. An eighteen-wheeler made an unsafe turn in front of a car driven by a grandmother and her family. The grandmother was killed and the family suffered severe injuries.
Nursing Homes in Carlsbad and Eddy County
An online search reveals that there are various nursing homes in Carlsbad, NM. These include:
- Good Life Senior Living and Memory Care
- Lakeview Christian Home (which has multiple assisted living facilities scattered throughout Carlsbad)
- Riverbend Retirement Community
There are over 70 nursing homes and other types of assisted living facilities with over 6,400 beds that accept Medicare and Medicaid in New Mexico. That government health insurance can cover approximately 64% of the costs of residing in such a facility.
Of the three listed above, the Northgate Unit of Lakeview Christian Nursing is the only facility listed as a Medicaid-certified facility. Its Medicare facility rating is five stars, an above-average rating. This score contrasts with online review ratings that place this facility at least one tier lower.
Online reviews of other private-pay nursing homes in Carlsbad rank these facilities as ranging anywhere from the low threes up to all five stars. The number of reviews posted is limited, though.
While many of the reviewers champion the care their loved ones received at their respective Carlsbad nursing homes, others do not speak as glowingly about their experience with theirs.
Receiving subpar attention and care at a nursing home is never good. You owe it to your loved ones to advocate for their rights if they've suffered adverse outcomes after being treated badly at a nursing home. A Carlsbad nursing home abuse lawyer here at Buckingham & Vega Law Firm can help you build a case.
Types of Abuse That Occur in Carlsbad Nursing Homes
A 2019 report published ranked New Mexico fifth highest in terms of per-facility deficiencies. It ranked nursing homes in our state as second from the bottom regarding the quality of care.
Elderly individuals residing in nursing homes are often referred to as vulnerable adults because they must rely on others for their caregiving. Staffing is often limited and underpaid at these facilities. These factors and general mismanagement of these facilities can cause employees to act out in anger, putting the health and safety of residents at risk.
Some of the most common examples of abuse that occurs in Carlsbad nursing homes include:
- Physical abuse like hitting, pushing, shoving, kicking, slapping, or punching
- Sexual abuse which involves any non-consensual sexually oriented contact
- Emotional abuse such as verbal taunting, screaming, and chastising
- Financial abuse may include stealing cash, checks, credit card numbers, or personal identifying information belonging to someone for some sort of monetary gain
What To Know About Carlsbad Nursing Home Neglect
Nursing home residents rely on their caregivers for their everyday needs, including:
- Personal hygiene
- Pain management and other medication administration
As such, one way in which their caregivers take advantage of residents is by neglecting their basic needs. They may accomplish this by:
- Ignoring residents’ calls for help when summoned to get something, for pain management, to turn residents in their beds to avoid bedsores, and to accompany them to the restroom
- Failing to change bed sheets, underwear, or diapers despite knowing that a resident has soiled them
- Not aiding a resident with putting in their dentures to chew or with feeding despite knowing they struggle with hand-eye coordination
Neglect is a form of abuse involving a caregiver exerting some degree of control over a nursing home resident. It, too, can leave a lasting impression on a victim. A nursing home abuse and neglect attorney at Buckingham & Vega Law Firm can advise you of legal remedies available when a loved one has been treated poorly at a Carlsbad assisted living facility.