$73.21 Million Verdict Birth Injury
The Buckingham & Vega legal team secured a $73.21 million verdict on behalf of a baby who was catastrophically injured due to the negligence of their doctor and medical team.
Record-Setting $72 Million Verdict Birth Injury
The Buckingham & Vega team obtained a $72 Million verdict in a birth injury case when an OB/ GYN failed to properly monitor the mom during pregnancy.
$16 Million Truck Accident
Buckingham & Vega obtained a $16 million settlement in a truck accident case. The truck driver was speeding and inattentive (texting) and crashed into the rear of a pickup truck stopped at a stoplight.
$14 Million Dram Shop Liability
Our team obtained a $14 million dram shop verdict on behalf of a client who was injured due to negligence.
13 Million Work Injury
Buckingham & Vega represented an oilfield worker who was killed when their company failed to properly train its employees on how to safely move waste bins. Our client was killed when he became trapped between two bins.
13 Million Truck Accident
Our team secured a 13 million settlement in a truck accident case. An eighteen-wheeler made an unsafe turn in front of a car driven by a grandmother and her family. The grandmother was killed and the family suffered severe injuries.
Bicycle Accidents in New Mexico
According to New Mexico Department of Transportation’s crash report from 2018, our state’s pedalcyclist fatalities have been rising drastically in the last five years. Between 2014 and 2018, 28 cyclists died in New Mexico. 2018 also showed the following data:
- 18 New Mexico cyclists were suspected of having serious injuries
- 174 New Mexico cyclists had minor injuries
- 123 bicyclists had possible injuries
Albuquerque is still seeing its fair share of accidents. Recently, a cyclist was struck by a car on Louisiana near Comanche. This accident happened around 8 a.m. in the morning. The cyclist died at the scene.
There are many factors that can cause bicycle accidents. Let’s take a look at what some of those factors can be.
How Do Bicycle Accidents Happen?
Cyclists often have to share the road with drivers as there may not always be a bicycle lane to ride in. When they’re on the road with drivers, everyone needs to be paying full attention. Unfortunately, negligence can lead to accidents.
- Distracted Driving. Cell phones are one of the main distractions that keep a driver’s eyes from the road. They could be texting, checking social media, or using a navigation app. Other distractions include trying to eat or completing another task—all which put the driver at risk of colliding with anyone near them.
- Inexperience. New drivers may be getting used to sharing the road with other cars, but they may not know how to handle cyclists. Passing cyclists can be a challenge for someone who is new behind the wheel. They may not be used to gauging how far their car is compared to the cyclist. If they misjudge, they could hit the cyclist’s rear wheel and possibly knock them off balance, or sideswipe the cyclist as they’re passing.
- Not Expecting Cyclists. To drivers, cyclists are much smaller and can be more difficult to spot. When a driver is making a turn or changing lanes, they may look for other vehicles, but not cyclists. Intersections are common places for this kind of situation to occur. A driver may be making a left-hand turn and check the lane for oncoming traffic, but not for cyclists. This can result in the car making the turn and colliding with the cyclist.
No matter the reason how your accident happened, our Albuquerque bicycle accident attorney will fight for you to get a fair settlement. Often, a cyclist may have injuries that require intense medical care. Let’s look into how cyclists face more dangers than those in cars.
Why Are Bicycle Accidents Severe?
Cyclists often have terrible injuries after a wreck because they have next to nothing to absorb the impact of the crash. Unfortunately, this means their body will likely bear the brunt of the impact.
Gear like helmets, thick clothing, and gloves do add some protection. However, when a cyclist is struck, they will likely lose balance and fall off their bike. As they fall, they can hit other objects before hitting the ground. Head injuries, bone injuries, and severe cuts and scrapes can occur.
These injuries can take a long time to heal, which can mean hospital stays as well as taking weeks or months to recover at home. If you’re missing work, being able to afford this care may be worrisome—but that’s where our attorneys come in.
Your injuries weren’t your fault and pursuing legal action can bring you the financial peace of mind you need so you can recover without worrying about how you’re going to pay other bills and put food on the table. Our lawyers can help you fight for your rights and get the compensation you deserve.